ERIC website Gets a New Look
September 17, 2006
Just in time for the new academic year, ERIC has unveiled a redesigned website. The new design puts an improved ERIC search interface front and center and offers links to streamlined information about the ERIC collection, including journal coverage. Also new is In the Spotlight, a rotating gallery of news, facts, and features.
These changes reflect user feedback and technology advances. A more detailed description is offered below.
- Results sorting options. The default sort is based on relevance. Relevance is determined by the number of search terms found in the record and uniqueness of the term in the database. Preference is given to newer materials and to the presence of either full text in ERIC or of a link to the publisher. Users may also sort results by author, publication date, and journal or institutional source.
- Search term highlighting. Search terms will appear in yellow in the titles and abstracts returned as results. This feature enables searchers to see at a glance how the results relate to the search.
- Streamlined records display. Citation information is compactly arrayed, and more records are visible at a glance.
Other Additions to the Home Page
- Prominent links to information about the ERIC Collection. Users can easily find out what materials are in ERIC and how to help build the collection by following links on the home page.
- In the Spotlight: A rotating collection of ERIC features, facts, highlights and news offers users insight into the ERIC Collection and new user-friendly tools available on the ERIC website.
- Records Added Last Month. This box in the corner of the home page shows how the ERIC Collection is growing.
Enhanced List of Journals Indexed in ERIC
- More details about indexing. Years of coverage are now noted beside each title on this growing list, and total number of ERIC records have been added to title details.
- Reformatted List. The new table style is more open and easier to read, with a diamond symbol marking titles currently indexed.
Overall Look and Feel
- More user-friendly text. About ERIC and some Help text has been rewritten for improved readability. Other areas will be similarly improved in the coming months.
- Lighter graphic design. To speed load time and present an uncluttered appearance, the new layout is lighter on graphic elements.
Which Areas Have Moved
|Formerly on the Home Page||Is Now|
|ERIC News||Most current information is highlighted in the In the Spotlight area of the home page. Older items are archived and may be accessed through the News navigational tab.|
|My ERIC Login||Available via the My ERIC navigational tab.|
What Remains the Same
- Free access to the ERIC Collection, including full text of more than 100,000 items, as well as more than 1.2 million bibliographic citations and abstracts.
- Our commitment to meeting the education information needs of a diverse audience of researchers, educators, librarians, administrators, and others. Let us know how we're doing by sending e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org